Monday, September 21, 2009

Aderbal Friere-Filho


I meet Aderbal Friere-Filho. Last year he famously directed actor Wagner Moura in Hamlet. We talk about Shakespeare and the big sea of theatre. I saw his production of Moby Dick which is currently playing in Teatro Poeira and we immediately connect over the theme of the sea which is running through my Pericles project. Here are some of his words (imperfectly translated).
"With waters more deep than those of other oceans, navigated by brave sailors - actors and actresses - the Great Sea of Theatre conceals in its depths all the possibilities of man and his ventures. Many navigators wander in strong boats constructed by genii like Shakespeare, Ibsen, Chekhov and many others. Some good pirates, with a spirit of adventure, take risks in their own boats, in deep waters, with principals of navigation made by their ancestors."
He says much more which I will document elsewhere. Our conversation moves freely between subjects and continues so that I lose track of time and I miss my next meeting. This feels appropriately Brazilian, and in the spirit of the sea, shipwrecks and wandering.

No comments:

Post a Comment